Sobig getting tagged as spam not virus

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Sat Aug 23 03:49:06 IST 2003

Why not make the sequence configurable using mailscanner.conf? Do not know
what effort is involved but sounds like a good idea to me.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Julian Field
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 1:54 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Sobig getting tagged as spam not virus

Unfortunately, as the spam checking is done first, you can't put a virus
name in the ruleset deciding the spam actions :-(

I need to take a look at this area and have a good think about it, which
won't happen right now as I can't even keep up with my incoming mail, let
alone stop and think about anything.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to do the virus scanning first, then
the spam scanning. This would mean that everything would be virus-scanned,
even spam that was then deleted. But the cost of virus scanning extra files
is a lot lower than the cost of spam scanning extra files, which wasn't the
case when I first started writing MailScanner.

I'll try to find time this weekend to work on it, once I have sat and
thought about it for a couple of hours it might turn out to be trivial
change, but I need to be *very* careful in this area.

--
Julian Field