Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at THENAP.COM
Fri Aug 22 20:04:31 IST 2003

            Ok, I have a reasonably large mail server, we process roughly
450000 messages a day (with this virus we do more) I decided to finally put
something infront of it to quell these viruses, as it Is poorly written and
propagates like a mofo. I installed Redhat 9, used the default sendmail
install [modified the .mc file to like 8 lines, I don't need the rest of the
crap] installed the demo version of sophos (sweep) and MailScanner, it
worked great from 1am-10am, when I got to work around 11 am. I noticed that
all of my mailscanner processes said [MailScanner] <defunct>, so I figured,
enh im not really that familiar with how it works, so I'll assume it was a
one-time issue.

            So I issue the ole /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner stop/start it
comes back up, instantly 5 processes show up as <defunct> so now im
confused, so I was like, lets see whats in my queue. So I hit a ls -la
/var/spool/mqueue.in | wc -l !!42097!!, 42097 messages in mqueue.in, no
wonder MailScanner wont start. Ok. My question is how do I make this thing
handle my load.

            Here is the hardware:

            Dell Poweredge 4400

Pentium III 600 /w 512k cache

            512 Megabytes of Ram

            Raid 5 scsi-3

The only purpose for this box is virus scanning. This used to be my old mail
server for my domain, but I have since replaced it because it couldn't
handle the load, I assumed however that this box would be able to handle the
MailScanner load, since it doesn't have to write mail to people's mailboxes.

Any advice is great, I really like the idea of this product, and I really
want it to work for us.

Thanks,

-Drew Weaver