Sobig getting tagged as spam not virus

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Fri Aug 22 15:26:18 IST 2003

Julian,

Thanks for looking into this.

In the short term...

According to the virus experts, the subject line of Sobig.F is one of the following:
   Re: Details
   Re: Approved
   Re: Re: My details
   Re: Thank you!
   Re: That movie
   Re: Wicked screensaver
   Re: Your application
   Thank you!
   Your details

What if I created a Spamassassin ruleset that checks for those subjects, and if a match is made, give it a big negative score? That would prevent Sobig from being rejected as a spam, and pass it on to the virus checking stage.

Is this a good short term solution, or am I missing something?

-Alan