Upgrade Question

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 09:04:52 IST 2003

At 06:47 22/08/2003, you wrote:

>Hi There,
>

>Im new to the list but I Installed MailScanner ages ago and failed to gain
>management confidence (for what ever reason)
>
>I have managed to get it into production a few months ago and it is
>working like a charm.
>

>My current version is 3.13 running on Linux Red Hat version 7.3
>
>All outbound mail is passed on to my ISPs smart host and inbound mail is
>passed on to my Exchange 2000 server.
>

>I notice that the current version MailScanner version is 4.22-5 and Im
>looking for instructions on how to upgrade.
>
>As Im sure you can appreciate I need to keep management/user confidence
>high so I want the upgrade to go smooth J

The upgrade from 3 to 4 basically consists of noting down all the
customisations you have made to version 3, *completely* removing all trace
of it (scripts, cron jobs, anything MailScanner-related in the
virus-scanner directories, the lot), making sure it has all stopped, then
installing and customising version 4.

It will take a couple of hours or so, so you best off doing it out of
working hours.
Get a basic setup working first (just specify the virus scanner and leave
everything else at the defaults). Only once you have proved that works
should you start customising it. Take it steady, and test it frequently so
you know you haven't broken anything.

Later upgrades to future releases of version 4 will only take a couple of
minutes, the upgrade process for them is a lot easier than it was in version 3.

>The problem Im having at the moment is a minor one relating to the current
>sobig virus.
>

>One or more people out there are sending the virus email to a user on my
>system that no longer exists.
>
>The virus gets removed then a Notification message goes back to the fake
>sender address.
>
>This then gets returned message to the Postmaster as undeliverable.
>

>The cleaned message then gets sent on to the user on my system that no
>longer exists.
>
>Another NDR gets sent back to the fake address triggering another message
>to the postmaster.
>

>I know I could turn this notification off but generally I find this
>feature very useful so that infected parties find out that they are in
>fact infected.
>

>This doesnt hurt anything much at the moment but it is getting a little
>annoying.
>
>If more people out there with the virus had any of my local email users in
>their address books this could turn into a big problem.
>

>Is there something I could do in the current version?
>
>How does the current version deal with this problem?

To be honest, stopping mail to a particular address is the job of your MTA
(sendmail, whatever) and not MailScanner. However, you could do it
MailScanner 4 by using rulesets on Non Spam Actions, Spam Actions and High
Scoring Spam Actions. But stopping at your MTA will be a lot easier.

If you don't know how to do that, ask very nicely on the MailScanner
mailing list and someone will point you in the right direction.

--
Julian Field