MailScanner + SpamAssassin - No RPM (?)

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Thu Aug 21 16:11:20 IST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> At 13:04 21/08/2003, you wrote:
> >Since my previous mailing was answered with: YES you need SpamAssassin, but
> >don't use their RPMs.  I'm concerned by who "they" are.  I'm assuming that
> >the statement meant - don't use the RPM available from SpamAssassin's site.
>
> Correct.
>
> >Since my MailScanner box is a Red Hat machine, I had intended to use the
> >SpamAssassin that is supplied on the RH Installation CDs.  Is this not the
> >right thing to do?
>
> No, they are ancient. You really do need the latest version, 2.55. Old
> versions won't detect much, it's an arms race like virus scanners.

The SpamAssassin folks expect to release 2.60 final this weekend or
perhaps early next week.  Many of the earlier versions of SA are either
broken or the spammers are crafting their messages to avoid being flagged.
You should most definitely be on the latest available stable version.

Redhat isn't even trying to keep up.  I'm not sure that there's any value
in using Redhat's version?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer