Sobig.F and spam proxy.

Thomas DuVally thomas_duvally at BROWN.EDU
Thu Aug 21 15:18:00 IST 2003

        Well, Sobig.F may have had a bigger purpose than just to annoy us.
This article:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/21/technology/worm_spam.reut/
is suggesting that it is installing spam-proxy software.  We already
have cases of possible sobig connected spam on campus (no proxies, yet).

        The spam doesn't seem to be infected, but appears to be getting tagged
by our spam scanners. We have users filtering anyway, so we aren't too
worried here.

        This was the next logical step for spammers.  I know a lot of people
have been expecting for this for a while, ever since we found out that
spammers have been actively hacking systems for spam-proxy. It seems
they have been busy this summer.

Here is a sample header:
Note that the "X-Brown-MailScanner" says its clean. That is our header
tag. It has the "X-MailScanner" that SoBig has and a similar "Subject"

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0