Warning Senders

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Wed Aug 20 04:35:24 IST 2003

Hello all,

I am sure you all have noticed a spike in the viruses intercepted by MS just
today, thanks to Sobig and family. One of my Gateways hit a record high !!!

This brings me to the next point, what is really the purpose of sending a
warning the sender, if almost all the recent viruses are written to fake the
sender? Just today, our site received thousands of "Warning" messages informing
them that the message they sent was infected. Of course the warning came to the
wrong sender, and it created a confusion and chaos on our site. How do you
explain to a normal user that the virus has a built-in engine ... etc.
I think this is irresponsible on the admin part, because all we're doing is
helping the virus-writers to scare users off even more.

It struck me how many of those sites were using MS, some running older versions
of MS and seemed to have done little research on what is it they are trying to
accomplish by notifying the wrong sender.

"Notify Sender" has its use, but it seems that it's been misused.

Sorry folks, I just had to let it out of my chest after answering gazillion
phone calls and writing users back million times to ignore those messages.

Thanks for listening
Marco