sobig and MS headers

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Tue Aug 19 15:56:27 IST 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:42:22 -0400, you wrote:

>> 4) The email has previously passed through a Mailscanner at another site
>> without an up-to-date set of virus identitiy files?
>
>Nope.  I just took a closer look at the headers.  The email was sent
>internal to our domain and the only servers it passed through that were
>running MS were our internal relays.  I admin them all, so I know.
>
>Looks to be a faked MailScanner header.

At first I didn't see them. But suddenly I got a few like below:

The best way around this problem is "personalize" the X-headers so you
can see what happened. I have been able to find a rogue spamassassin
once because I could link all X-headers but one to all machines but one.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)