sobig and MS headers

Thomas DuVally thomas_duvally at BROWN.EDU
Tue Aug 19 15:42:22 IST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 10:36, Patterson S.R. wrote:
> Thomas DuVally wrote:
> > I'm getting reports of an "X-Mailscnner: Found to be clean" header in
> > the sobig.f e-mails.
> > 1) Slide through sites that don't scan twice.
> > 2) Discredit MS
> > 3) Both?
>
> Or merely:
>
> 4) The email has previously passed through a Mailscanner at another site
> without an up-to-date set of virus identitiy files?

Nope.  I just took a closer look at the headers.  The email was sent
internal to our domain and the only servers it passed through that were
running MS were our internal relays.  I admin them all, so I know.

Looks to be a faked MailScanner header.

Julian, looks like the virus writers have noticed you. I'm having images
of the flaming eye in LOTR.

--
Thomas J. DuVally
Lead Systems Prog.