Tracking the wild mailscanner stats

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Mon Aug 18 17:10:35 IST 2003

Probably not the correct owner/group.  I haven't yet tried the actual
package you're dealing with, but if mrtg is being kicked off by a crontab
entry, which user is that?  If it's not root, these these ownerships are
probably wrong.

If mrtg is running as a daemon, then ps ax | grep mrtg to see what user it
runs as.  If it's running as a daemon, you may also have to restart it for
config changes to take effect.

Last idea: you said once you put in the paths, it "didn't work" but you
didn't say whether the error had changed at all.  Is it still exactly:
Rateup Error: Can't open mrtg/images/mesgs/mesgs-day.png for write

...or did the path change when you changed your paths.

HTH,
Trever