Anti Virus Software and which to get

Mike Watson mikew at CRUCIS.NET
Sat Aug 16 02:39:30 IST 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 07:46 pm, you wrote:
> I know this question has been asked but I don't know that the details
> have been given and I wanted to clarify something before I spend some
> money. I also noted the FAQ on f-prot and that is also where some
> confusion came into play. It said the price as a flat fee and not
> based on users. $300 per server.  Anyway, here is the break down and
> any comments would be great. Also, if there is anything else like
> McAfee that is worth looking at the is flat fee based, please bring
> it up.
>

> f-prot
> F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD Mail Server - $299.00 based on 1-24
> users F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD File Server - $389.00
>
> So, if I am using this as a gateway and was wondering if I can just
> use the fileserver version of f-prot? Otherwise it would be a lot for
> the 250 users we have and I would be better off getting f-secure or
> RAV.
>

> f-secure
> F-Secure Anti-Virus v4.50 for Servers for Linux - $269.00
>
> RAV
> RAV AntiVirus for Sendmail(Linux) - $299.00 based on two domains
>
> Both f-secure and RAV are good and about the same with a small
> difference. RAV is based on domains but f-secure isn't. So, does this
> matter with MailScanner or is this a moot issue? Sounds like f-secure
> is the way to go.
>

> Clav
> Clav is open source but it doesn't disinfect. We will need it to
> disinfect.

I think you can scratch RAV.  It was bought recently by Microsoft and it
future, the Linux version anyway, is in doubt.

F-Prot changed it pricing scheme recently I think.  It's still free to
home and small business users.  Don't know what the definition of
"small business" is.

Mike W
- --
Registered Linux - 256979
NRA Life
ARS: W0TMW

dangerous content by F-Prot and MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.