MPEG file type

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Mon Aug 11 21:25:52 IST 2003

Hi,

> For those like me that are less aware of various threats could
> someone please summarize why I might want to block the various movie file
> types?

Not so much of a threat, but can be used to enforce policies.
In the institution where I work, students were trading movies and media files
through e-mail. Some where sending an entire CD over e-mail, either because
they did not know any better or being lazy. The threat, if you wanna call it
that, is that I had to deal with mail bombs. So I stopped it via MS.

It is worth noting that blocking Media files using File Rules is not effective,
for that purpose, unless you have some cap on the attachment size through your
MTA. The students in my institution got around MS by renaming their files to
strange extenstions or no extentions. Conveniently, they e-mailed each other
instructions on what would the original file name be. I discouraged that by
setting a cap on the attachment size. They don't like me now, but mail is
flowing faster than ever.

Marco