Question for Clam users

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Mon Aug 11 19:11:50 IST 2003

I've been running ClamAV now for a couple of weeks. The autoupdate of new signatures runs just fine. However, I'm seeing a pattern in Clam that I'm not used to in my experiance with F-Prot, McAfee etc.

MS has an excellent auto-update routine to grab and install new signatures for Clam as they become available. However, I'm seeing almost as many updates to the actual Clam program as I'm seeing updates to the signature files. With other anti-virus programs I use, I typically only see one or two new releases for the engine a year, everything else is updated via the periodic signature files.

With Clam, it seems the engine is updated almost as often as the signatures. Obviously the auto-update routine in MS can't handle an update to the actual program. How are the rest of you dealing with all these engine updates? Right now I find myself either paying close attention to my email and/or the Clam website, and manually installing the new software when I see it; this all sort of defeats the purpose of the auto-update procedure.

I wouldn't mind doing this a few times a year, but just in the last month there have been four updates (ignoring the development updates).

Thanks for any ideas,
-Alan