Bouncing individual email addresses

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Aug 8 20:50:10 IST 2003

>If you want to avoid the MS processing overhead for these users, why
>not set
>rules for "Spam Checks = " so that those users are listed as "no" and
>not
>bother to do any spam checking for them at all?   Then just let the
>relay
>machine deliver them as quickly as possible to the system which *can*
>do
>proper address mapping to either dump the email to /dev/null or else
>return
>"no such user".

This is not such a good idea, my experience is that most messages for
people who have left are spam and what tends to happen is this....

MS machine receives mail
attempts to forward to internal server (exchange in my case)
internal server rejects mail because user doesn't exist
MS machine attempts to return mail to sender with a delivery failure
notification.
Because sender address is often forged the bounce sits in the queue for
5 days before being sent to the local postmaster.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.