Notifications?

Samuel Luxford-Watts slwatts at WINCKWORTHS.CO.UK
Fri Aug 8 16:27:53 IST 2003

How about linking this with sql logging. Rather than generate loads of extra
emails and fill logfiles with lots of mail delivery and status messages -
why not log such events to a database and write a few php scrits to allow
users to access their email details to view statistics and to release,
blacklist, or whitelist their own email?

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Anderson [mailto:ka at PACIFIC.NET]
Sent: 08 August 2003 15:40
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Notifications?

Julian Field wrote:

> You cannot currently do this. Wouldn't it generate an /awful/ lot of
> mail?

It would. But if it could be a daily (or configurable) digest sent to the
end user of spam quarantined with a nice link to release the individual
emails? That would be nice. I'm sure this has occurred to others on this
list.. Anyone put any work into such a thing?

Other Anti-Spam solutions have this; Postini, active-state's new anti-spam
product - I saw it at linuxworld tuesday - very cool, but I can't remember
the name of the product!

The result would be that the end user wouldn't have to d/l 50-80% {SPAM}
tagged email and filter it locally. The impression by the end user would be
that we were taking care of that for them. :-)

This may not be a MailScanner feature, maybe an addon script or two?
MailScanner could help by writing out a log of what it has quarantined when
and where it has put it. I would expect this could be done with some simple
logging code in MailScanner at the same points it currently logs quarantine
info to the maillog. Then a perl script run from cron could read the
"quarantine log" and generate emails to end users on a regular basis.
Another script could handle releasing the quarantined email when an end user
clicked a link in the email.

Ken
Pacific.Net

> At 04:51 08/08/2003, you wrote:
>
>> I was reading through the documentation and I stumbled across the
>> actions section for SPAM.  I was playing with the settings and rules
>> files (which make all of our lives easier) when I finally ended up
>> with "store" being the action I opted for SPAM and "delete" for HIGH
>> SPAM.
>>
>> This is working well, (after learning the hard way that quarantine
>> directory has to be owned by postfix:postfix :)) exepct that I don't
>> get notified when
>> a message is received and "stored".  I assume this is by design, however,
>> I'm curious about whether the system can notify AND store the message
>> with a
>> notification such as the one used to notify of "stored" messages that are
>> identified as viruses/filename?
>>
>> I suppose I'm looking for a SPAM equilvalent for the "Stored Virus
>> Message Report" variable that is ONLY sent to the ADMIN identified by
>> "Notices To"...
>>
>> CT
>

> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info

--------------
Winckworth Sherwood Solicitors and Parliamentary Agents
DX 148400 WESTMINSTER 5 : 35 Great Peter Street, London SW1P 3LR
Telephone 020 7593 5000 Fax 020 7593 5099

Do something amazing!
The firm is supporting a charitable bike ride through Vietnam and needs your help. For further information please visit www.vietnambikeride.org <http://www.vietnambikeride.org>

-Confidentiality-
This email message and any attachments are confidential; they may be subject to legal professional privilege and are intended for the named recipient only. If you are not the named recipient, please return the message and enclosures immediately and delete them from your system.

-Caution-
Before advice received only by email (whether by attachment or otherwise) may be relied on, the authenticity of the communication must be verified by means independent of email.

-Regulation-
The firm is regulated by the Law Society.

-Partners-
A list of partners is available for inspection at each office of the firm and on the firm's website at www.winckworths.co.uk <http://www.winckworths.co.uk>