f-protwrapper version 3.27

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 8 08:40:45 IST 2003

At 02:27 08/08/2003, you wrote:
>I am still using 3.27 with F-prot.
>
>With the latest version of f-prot and the old mailscanner (3.27) I get the
>following message.
>
>Either you've found a bug in MailScanner's F-Prot output parser, or
>F-Prot's output format has changed! F-Prot said this "Action: Report
>only". Please mail the author of MailScanner
>
>What do I need to amend in f-protwrapper to correct this ?

You need to get the latest F-Prot parser from the more recent MailScanner,
and replace your old one with this new one.

Go somewhere safe
         cd /tmp
Download the latest MailScanner-4.22-5.tar.gz
Unpack it
         tar xzf MailScanner-4.22-5.tar.gz
Get to the right place
         cd MailScanner-4.22-5/lib/MailScanner

Now take a look at SweepViruses.pm. You will find a line
         sub ProcessFProtOutput {
Save the whole of that sub to a file.

Now go to wherever you have installed your copy of MailScanner 3.27. Hunt
in there and you will find a file "sweep.pl". Save a backup copy of this
somewhere safe in case you get into trouble.

Again, in that file you will find a "sub ProcessFProtOutput {" line.
Replace the whole of that sub with the one you just extracted from version
4.22-5.

Then do a
         perl -c sweep.pl
to syntax check it.

Then restart MailScanner and you should now have the most recent parser
which will handle the new F-Prot versions.

Sorry that is so long and convoluted, but the only direct support I now do
for version 3 is major security bugs (which no-one has found).

P.S. Don't try blindly copying any other code from version 4 into version
3, the *only* bits you can copy over are the virus scanners parsers. It was
a deliberate choice I made when creating version 4 just in case this exact
thing happened.
--
Julian Field