ANNOUNCE: beta release 4.23-1

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 21:09:26 IST 2003

At 21:00 07/08/2003, you wrote:
>Julian,
>         I'm on version 4.21-9. Like many, I try stick to a known good
> version of software, but I've seen references where you suggest people
> upgrade to a newer version for general improvement and bugfix reasons
> (unless I misunderstood of course).
>
>If we don't need anything specific in the newer releases, how often should
>we upgrade for "general purposes?"
>
>The reason I'm asking is:
>a: the release here is beta
>b: I'm getting a new server and will be installing security updates and
>such, but wanted to know what to do with MS (stick to my current version,
>which works great, or go to a new version).

I would not advise ever running beta software on production machines,
that's why it's beta.
Otherwise, take a look at the ChangeLog and see if you think any of the
issues or improvements affect you. If you have a version that is working
just fine, and you don't need any of the new features, then there's no
point upgrading.
--
Julian Field