OT: Sendmail setup - better list suggestions?

Steve Thomas lists at STHOMAS.NET
Thu Aug 7 19:26:11 IST 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 01:29:43PM -0400, Thomas DuVally is rumored to have said:

> Good for spam control, bad for users 'cause we use it as out smtp
> relay.  User sending to large list gets error and mail doesn't get sent.
>
>         Anyone out there doing this sorta thing?  Anyone doing it differently
> that seems better?  And yes, our MX and our SMTP relays are the same
> systems.

If you're relaying for users on a specific network, just add that network to the access list:

(in /etc/mail/access [file location may differ]):

172.30.1            RELAY

Then run "makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access". Be sure to substitute your network for the one in my example. Also, there's no need to restart/HUP sendmail after doing this.

You could also set up sendmail for SMTP AUTH and allow all authenticated mail through. There's some HOWTOs that you can google for that detail how to do this. The downside with that is that you'll have to reconfigure all your mail clients, which (depending on how tech savvy your userbase is) could be a serious pain in the butt. I'm also not sure about how you'd go about it with all your user info being stored in LDAP. Maybe a cron job that pulls all the user/password info out of the LDAP directory and rebuilds the PAM database - I'd done something similar a while back to get SMTP AUTH working. It was dirty, but it worked.

HTH

--
"A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)