newbie - no external mail allowed to some users

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Wed Aug 6 18:29:01 IST 2003

But you can't just edit it.  After you put in your entries you'll have to
turn it into a "database";  on my system I use the following command:

        makemap hash access < access

as root in the /etc/mail directory.

I think that's a pretty stock command, but some systems may use something
other than hash.  My understanding of what it's doing is taking a text file
in which the entries may be randomly inserted, and turning it into an
indexed file which can be parsed much faster.  If you have a big system w/a
gazillion entries in the access file, you don't want your MTA to have to
parse it with brute force by starting at the top and trundling on through
for each mail.  Making it indexable (Is that a word?  Guess it is now <g>)
speeds up the processing.  This also holds for other files;  mailertable
comes to mind and I think there's others.

S'later...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500