Interesting Article - Swollen Orders Show Spam's Allure

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Wed Aug 6 15:31:55 IST 2003

I've often wondered who in their right mind would respond to spam...well,
there's lots of people who will.  About 6000 people spent around $100 each
in a four week period to buy penis enlargement pills at just one
website!!!

The pills cost $5 and they paid the spammer $10/order.  The website didn't
even have SSL encryption.  The customers sent their names, addresses and
credit card #'s in the clear.  Obviously, there wasn't any record security
either since anyone could access the database.  The website didn't have
any email address, telephone # or street address.

Incredible!!!  No wonder these spam are jamming the servers.  I'm
beginning to think I may get into the business too.  Afterall, someone
needs to help these idiots spend their $$$.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0%2C1367%2C59907%2C00.html

Gerry