Update on F-prot issue

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 23:18:37 IST 2003

At 23:03 05/08/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks for the update Raymond.  I just downloaded:
>
>         fp-linux-ms-4.1.2.tar.gz - F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Mail Servers
>(TAR)
>
>I presume that's the right one - last spring I got the small business
>version, but now they've renamed their products so I'm guessing that the
>mail server version is what I'm after.
>
>If someone knows differently, please let me know.

All you need is the Desktop edition. The only thing you need is the
command-line-based scanner, which is included in all versions. None of the
extra facilities in the "server" or "mail server" versions will be used.

And as their software licence fails to define the terms "workstation",
"server" or "mail server", they can hardly hold you in breach of their licence.
However, if you can afford it, you might like to buy the "server" version.
It doesn't offer any extra facilities that you will need, but none of us
really want F-Prot going bankrupt.
--
Julian Field