Which is better for use with MS? Sendmail, postfix, exim.......

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 18:05:28 IST 2003

At 17:36 05/08/2003, you wrote:
>Samuel Luxford-Watts <slwatts at WINCKWORTHS.CO.UK> wrote:
> >
> >Just a quick question and I hope it doesn't cause too much traffic to the
> >list but I was wandering which MTA is best for use with MS and SpamAssassin?
> >I would also like to config and log using mysql if possible.
>
>I recommend Exim, because its ACL system allows you to be as strict as
>you wish about which messages are accepted by your system before they
>even get as far as MailScanner. This means you have less difficulty
>dealing with forged email and double bounces etc.

Out of sendmail, Exim and Postfix, Exim is the fastest too when used in
conjunction with MailScanner. I virtually always use Exim when speed-testing.

Postfix itself is fast, but due to its internal design causes a lot more
I/O with MailScanner than sendmail or Exim.

Sendmail can approach the speed of Exim, but I have yet to make it beat it.
--
Julian Field