Exim makefile question

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Tue Aug 5 17:00:50 IST 2003

Mike Oliveri <moliveri at UTI.COM> wrote:

>1) I see under creating the configure file that I can create a
>colon-separated list. Would it be best to create that second configure file
>for Mailscanner here, or should I just copy it over per the Mailscanner
>instructions? The Makefile comments are somewhat vague as to whether this
>second file will really be created.

Although Exim's installation script will install a template configuration
file if there isn't one already there, the option you are looking at is
to do with where Exim looks for its configuration file when it is run.
You DO NOT want to add both of the dual configuration files that
MailScanner requires to this list, because dire confusion will result.

>2) Same as above regarding the exim spool. If I need two spool directories,
>particulary with one (or both) a split spool, am I also able to put a
>colon-separated list of spool directories here?

You don't want to do that, and indeed you can't. Exim will create
its spool directory when it is first run, which needs to be done
(for both instances of Exim) before MailScanner is started (because
MailScanner requires directories to exist before it is started). If you
are using split spool directories you must create the subdirectories
yourself because Exim creates them lazily, which is not fast enough
for MailScanner.

>3) I've also offloaded the logfiles from the Exim spool directory to their
>own log directory. Is that wise with two separate config files or is it
>best to just leave them be? In other words, will instances of Exim run by
>the respective configure files write to their own logs, or will they play
>nice and all Exim logs just write to the same place?

It's best to have both of the Exim instances logging to the same place,
as explained in the MailScanner Exim installation guide.

Tony.
ROCKALL: VARIABLE 3 OR 4. DRIZZLE AT FIRST. MODERATE OR POOR.