Blacklist header scanning

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Mon Aug 4 15:04:35 IST 2003

Mikael Lönnroth wrote:
>>MailScanner always uses the envelope information, not whatever someone
>>happens to have put in the headers. It will continue to operate that way
>>unless *lots* of people want any other solution.
>

> Clients like Outlook Express use header information only so it gets a bit
> confusing for the blacklist admin. Looks like I have to look at the code
> myself then :-)
>
> Regards,
> Mikael

This is also somewhat true for whitelists, since the To in the headers
isn't the same as the To envelope for some lists.

But, blacklists on email addresses really only work on legitimate email.
Spammers don't use _real_ email addresses, nor do they use the same
email address every time (remember the days when spammers were honest?).

The result is that user entered whitelists are usually correct, except
for some list email, and user entered blacklists are misleading and
useless. It's really a joke that Outlook clients have built in
'blacklist sender' as a feature before adding any _real_ help for spam
like a bayes filter (+1 for Mozilla/Thunderbird).

If you really want to use blacklists for spam protection, you'd probably
need to create a system so that a user could simply forward an email to
a script or a human that could determine the original envelope FROM,
based on the mail log.

Ken A.