Zip files not getting checked?

Matt Laney mdlaney at morehouse.edu
Sun Aug 3 03:37:47 IST 2003

> > My script pulls
> > just the single IDE as soon as the notification e-mail comes in.
>
> Before putting this in the distribution  it might be worth doing a side
> by side comparison of the two approaches.  I've certainly seen times
> when the notification has been a couple of hours after the IDE was
> available...

Perhaps this is a foolish suggestion, but wouldn't it be possible to
take pieces of both approaches?

I don't get the Sophos update emails (must talk to them about that), but
if I did, I think I'd be tempted to aim them at some special address
(sophos-notices at my-domain), then do something like this in /etc/aliases
(sendmail):

        sophos-notices:me,|/opt/MailScanner/bin/update_virus_scanners

Since the existing script ignores stdin, that -should- just cause it to
run every time I get mail to that address.

Granted, there are some file ownership issues to work out (the update
would run as user mailnull, in most out-of-box sendmail setups), but
that's going to be a concern with any email-triggered action, and it's
not impossible to overcome.

Cron can run the thing hourly or whatever regardless of what the email
piece is doing.

This discards the coolness associated with only getting the single virus
definition that has changed, but it also sounds simpler.  Further, updates
are grabbed either as they happen OR every hour, whatever's first.

-Matt

Matt Laney, mdlaney at morehouse.edu
Network and Unix Systems Engineer
Morehouse College --- Atlanta, GA