spam.whitelist.rules

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 09:40:38 IST 2003

At 08:53 01/08/2003, you wrote:
>On Friday 01 August 2003 7:21 am, John Rudd wrote:
>
> > What does mailscanner do if a message has multiple recipients, and
> > their per-user settings don't agree with each other?
>
>Messages don't have multiple recipients - no, really.

Oh yes they do.

>There is only one "Rcpt to:" envelope address, and it is this which
>MailScanner uses in evaluating its rules.

Wrong. There can be many envelope recipients.

The behaviour you get depends on the configuration variable being evaluated.
In some cases it uses the first recipient for which it finds a matching rule.
For other cases it adds together all the resulting values for all matching
rules and does all of them (e.g. Spam Actions).

This is an area which may improve shortly. What I'm thinking of is a variable
         Use Defaults When Matching Multiple Recipients
If this was "yes", then it would work like this:
1. If there is only 1 recipient, then do as before.
2. If there are multiple recipients all in the same domain (domain.com),
then look up
         *@domain.com
    and use that value (which may in turn use the *@* default value in the
ruleset).
3. If there are multiple recipients in multiple domains, then look up
         *@*
    and use that value. (*@* may of course be expressed as the string
'default' just like now).

This would give 100% predictable behaviour when messages have multiple
recipients.
One possible tweak to the above behaviour might be
1a. If all the values for all the recipients are the same, then use them.
But that would be more awkward to implement as the entire ruleset would
have to be evaluated once to check the results, then gone through again for
the *@domain.com or *@* addresses. Would definitely be slower.

Let me know what you think of either of these possibilities.
--
Julian Field