MailScanner/SpamAssassin VS spamassasin -t gives different scores (sometimes)

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Thu Apr 24 15:59:44 IST 2003

Peter Bates <Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK> wrote:

>I'd appreciate a bit more insight... also 'Debug SpamAssassin = yes'
>dumping some stuff when MS is actually running as a daemon would be quite
>nice.

Comment out the standard filehandle stuff around line 555 of bin/MailScanner
in order to see the output.

>Playing devil's advocate, amavisd has some really nice timing
>statistics as to time spent processing each message, and how much time
>(and percentage of time) is spent on certain elements, e.g. SA took 79% of
>the whatever milliseconds the complete mail took.

MailScanner can't quite do that because it runs the virus scanner over the
whole batch rather than each message; but it would be possible to do
for just the spam checks. Adding some extra logging to Message::IsSpam
would be worthwhile.

>On another note, Bayes starting working for me with the above combination
>yesterday, and I haven't a clue why, as I hadn't changed anything...
>suddenly bayes_msgcount started incrementing, when it hadn't been
>before... crazy!

SpamAssassin will auto-train on messages that score above 25 or below -2
by default.

Tony.
VIKING: VARIABLE 3 BECOMING SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6, OCCASIONALLY 7. RAIN LATER.
MODERATE WITH FOG PATCHES, BECOMING GOOD.