Outgoing mail

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Mon Apr 21 21:14:06 IST 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 03:18:07PM -0500, Marco Obaid wrote:
> > This is a fairly common technique which lets ISPs tailor mail-handler
> > systems for their intended function. I think that if you're using
> > sendmail on your main mailserver, you could just tell it to use your
> > outbound mailsystem as a smarthost.
>
> Execuse my ignorance ... what is a smarthost?

That was a question I had to ask not all that long ago. Ignorance is
excusable, so long as you take steps to correct it -- as you have;
thank you!

It is nothing more than a host which your outbound mail handler knows
is the next step in the mail path. It may itself be pointed to yet
another smarthost, or connect directly to the recipient MTA.

At the moment, if I read your initial post correctly, your outbound
mail goes directly from your mail servers, or from the MailScanner
machine; I'm not sure which. The change probably won't be difficult
or expensive.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx