filename rules questioned

Steve Campbell steve at AVALON.DARTMOUTH.EDU
Mon Apr 21 12:15:03 IST 2003

Folks,

We occasionally get complaints from users about harmless enclosures in email
they send or receive being deleted by MailScanner's filename.rules.conf
mechanism. Especially in a college environment like ours, we need to weigh the
risk of allowing enclosures through against the likelihood of false positives
and the resulting interference with legitimate enclosures.

So my question is, is there any documented (not just anecdotal) evidence to
justify the blocking of enclosures with certain filenames as specified by
filename.rules.conf?

Steve Campbell
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH US