Updateing order

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 11:33:14 IST 2003

At 10:07 14/04/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm running to following configuration
>redhat 7.1-2
>Sendmail 8.11.2.-14
>Mailscanner 3.22-10
>Sophos 3.67
>on an Intel box.
>
>I need to upgrade to the latest versions and add SpamAssassin.
>Sophos is straight forward but what would be the best order to do
>the others in. We only have a production Mailscanner server which
>is also our DNS so it has to be down for a minimum.
>I suspect the answer is upgrade  Redhat, Sendmail and
>Mailscanner in that order in one go. If that works Sophos then
>SpamAssassin.
>Any thoughts/recommendations.
>(I have a good backup if all goes horribly wrong and an
>reinstallation process that has been tested and works - well has
>worked!!)

Start by working out your new MailScanner.conf file based on your current
MailScanner 3 setup. If you want to mail me your current conf file (along
with any supporting config files) I will try to do as much of that step for
you as I can. There are a load of new config options which I advise you
leave as default to start with.

I would use the Perl-SAVI library in future rather than calling Sophos on
the command-line, it is quicker.

Otherwise that sounds a sensible approach. Feel free to shout for help if
you need it.
--
Julian Field