MailScanner.pid ownership

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Mon Apr 14 01:15:22 IST 2003

Jan-Peter Koopmann <Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE> wrote:

>I am noticing a problem with MailScanner running under a different
>user (due to Exim). Would it be possible to create the PID file
>before you switch the user context and then change the ownership of
>that file appropriately? The problem is that usually a user mailnull
>does not have write priviledges on /var/run under FreeBSD. This
>change would make life a bit easier.

Yes that would be nice.

>If that is not possible I would change the port to put the file into
>/var/run/MailScanner and change the ownership of that directory.

In my installation I put the pid file in /var/spool/MailScanner
since that parallels Exim's default of /var/spool/exim/exim-daemon.pid
(even though this isn't very kosher from most operating systems'
points of view... better than in /etc though!).

Tony.
FAEROES SOUTHEAST ICELAND: SOUTHEASTERLY VEERING SOUTHWESTERLY 6 OR 7,
OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 IN FAEROES. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD.