High SpamAssassin scores but Subject not modified

Stephen Lee splee at PLEXIO.COM
Sun Apr 13 15:39:41 IST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 03:37, Kevin Spicer wrote:
> It looks to me that you're running mail through spamassassin outside of
> MailScanner, as your spam headers (IIRC) are spamassassin's default
> headers, all headers added by MailScanner by default begin
> X-MailScanner.  I'd expect to see X-MailScanner-Spamcheck: and
I essentially followed the instructions on Spamassassin installation
from the MailScanner docs.

> You have two things to sort out... Why MS isn't checking for spam and
> why spamassassin is running alone.
>
> Maybe you have Spam Checks = no in MailScanner.conf?  This would prevent
> MS from using SA even though you have Use SpamAssassin = yes in MS.conf
> (if you want SA to to RBL checks rather than MS, make Spam List and Spam
> Domain List empty in MS.conf)
> I'm not sure how you've set SA up (whether to scan just your mail or
> everyones) but probably just reversing the last few steps of the install
> procedure you followed would be a good start (MS just needs the SA code
> installed, you shouldn't need to do any further configuration of
> SA/sendmail/procmail to get it working with MS) You don't need spamd or
> spamc.

I did have Spam Checks = yes as well as Use SpamAssassin = yes. Your
suggestion that Spamassassin is running on its own must be correct since
I just changed "Use SpamAssassin" to "no" and the same Spamassassin
header entry appeared in the message again.

...2 minutes later...

After some further digging, it turns out that only messages from a
particular ISP are ignored by MailScanner/Spamassassin. That ISP happens
to use Spamassassin and hence the header entry in the message. The more
interesting part is why IS my setup not calling Spamassassin if the
message already has a Spamassassin header in it? Is there a switch in
MailScanner.conf I can set so ALL messages get scanned?

Thanks for you help,
Stephen

splee at spl-linux.com
www.spl-linux.com