Porn msg identification?

Richard D Alloway ralloway at WINBEAM.COM
Wed Apr 9 19:45:27 IST 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Mariano Absatz wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> The point is that MailScanner doesn't know anything about scoring messages...
> the spam score you see in MailScanner is actually done by the SpamAssassin
> library that MailScanner optionally uses.

This is, of course, quite true :)

The reason I was suggesting it be part of MailScanner is the fact that
MailScanner takes the output of SpamAssassin and modifies the subject
and/or adds a header to the message.

> Now, _that_ library, including the rules that come with it, is developed and
> optimized to tag as much spam as possible _avoiding_ as many false positives
> as it can.

Well, I'm not necessarily looking to detect spam... legitimate email with
mature content might not be spam. :)

> Thus, SpamAssassin scans the message looking for patterns and it adds or
> substracts from the score as some conditions are met or not...

Which is the same functionality I'd be looking for in a word/phrase
detection routine, but with a seperate set of actions from the spam
portion.

> You _could_ create a different set of rules for SpamAssassin and invoke it
> twice, once for spam detection and the other for "adulthood" detection, but
> that would imply at least modifying MailScanner and using a secondary set of
> SpamAssassin rules... it _will_ require some time and an effort to do it...

It seems I may be one of the very few actually looking for this type of
feature...perhaps I will have to throw on the ol' coding hat for a while
:)

Julian, if I am (or anybody else is) able to create a relatively
lightweight way of adding this feature to MailScanner, would you consider
adding it to the production version?

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

-Rich