Deleting all Messages with a specific address in the "To:" field....

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 20:09:31 IST 2003

At 19:48 07/04/2003, you wrote:
>An e-mail address associated with an old domain that is no longer used
>gets nothing but spam
>
>e-mail at that old address is forwarded to the new server by the ISP.  The
>"To:" field is still tagged with the old server's domain.
>
>I have a rule to call everything at the old domain spam:
>To:me at olddomain.comyes
>I also have a rule for spam actions to delete it:
>To:me at olddomain.comdelete
>
>I look at the headers, and I see the old server info in the "To:" field,
>but the e-mail goes through just fine, and isn't marked as spam.  I
>checked the whitelist rules, and it isn't whitelisted.
>
>Is the ISP forward what's making this not work?  Any Ideas?  If I use
>sendmail to delete it, it induces latency, and fetchmail dies

MailScanner doesn't use the From: and To: headers at all, they aren't what
is used to deliver the mail. It uses the envelope addresses which are what
actually govern the delivery of the mail.

If the old domain gets nothing but spam, why are you still receiving mail
from it? Seems to me that all you need to do is tell the ISP to stop
forwarding the old domain to the new one.

--
Julian Field