Reject mail to certain local adresses

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Sun Sep 29 17:23:38 IST 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 11:02, Remco Barendse wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to have mailscanner reject e-mail messages to certain
> e-mail adresses??
>
> I get tons of spam on some non-existent e-mail adresses (for example
> www at mydomain.com).
>
> I use the linux box as a mail router before it goes to an Exchange box.
> The exchange box does archive the incoming/outgoing mail by using an event
> sink but I would like to stay clear of all this spam.

My guess is that you've configured the SMTP relay to pass all inbound
traffic to the exchange server without first checking to see if it is a
valid address. To do that the relay needs to know what the valid email
addresses are. That can be done with either an aliases or a
virtusertable map. Configuring the relay to know the valid addresses
does mean that there are two places to change each time you add or
remove a user, but it does allow the relay to reject mail for
non-existent addresses.

> I also have another question. I try to block some spam from certain
> domains by putting the domain name in the /etc/mail/access list under
> REJECT.
> Mail from these domains still gets through however.
> Is this because the linux box is only routing the mail and it isn't being
> blocked because the mail isn't really (locally) inbound? Or is the problem
> that these e-mails have an e-mail adress claiming to be from:
> spammer at link2buy.com but the domain of the sender is
> optitarget-29onlinecash at server1.bb02.net for example??

When adding records to the access map you must look at the full headers
of the message and find the domain or IP of the relaying MTA that passed
the message to your server. Where the message claims to be from is
useless and may well be forged.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
jim at entrophy-free.net