Spam bounce message

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Sat Sep 28 23:32:17 IST 2002

Yeh but what I mean is that people have asked before if Mailscanner can
reject a SPAM message and though this is the MTA's job, this would be a
way to give those people who want to reject the ability to do it from
Mailscanner.  True it's not a real reject but it does give the
appearance.

Also my experience has been that users never read the reasons for a
rejection or bounce. Yeh it can help a postmaster, but just getting a
user to talk to their email admin is a task even with a rejection or
bounce message tells them to.  What they tend to do is call the person
they are trying to email and say they can't email them even though the
bounce message tells them to talk to their email admin.  The recipient
then believes it a problem their email account and you have to get
involved.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt [mailto:hciss at HCIWS.COM]
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 3:12 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Spam bounce message

If the SMTP server the spammer connected to accepted the message it was
already marked quite likely as valid unless they used an open relay.
Usually the return address on a SPAM does not work anyway though.  Also,
just in case of a false hit you would want an explanation to a
legitimate sender.

Matt