Spam bounce message

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Sep 28 23:24:48 IST 2002

At 19:15 28/09/2002, you wrote:
>I've been playing with this in 4.0 and was wondering... Wouldn't it
>better for MS to bounce back the message in such a way that it appears
>to be a Mailer-Daemon rejection message?  Basically making it appear to
>have come from the MTA?  I wouldn't think spammers are going to look
>that closely at the header and see that it's not a real bounce.  If the
>bounce message appears to be a rejection then "maybe" and I do mean
>maybe, the address would get removed from their list.

If you set the Local Postmaster email address for mail generated on the
MailScanner server to be "MAILER-DAEMON" then it should look enough like an
MTA bounce to fool most people/systems.

Local Postmaster = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/local.postmaster.rules

And local.postmaster.rules contains something like this
From:           127.0.0.1       MAILER-DAEMON at your.domain.com
FromTo: default         postmaster at your.domain.com

Note the 127.0.0.1 check might not work with the current V4 release, as I
only just fixed a bug which would have caused an empty IP address for
messages created by MailScanner itself.

I've got some more testing to do before the next alpha appears. I have just
added support for multiple incoming mqueue.in directories.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ