Sendmail Questions ...

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Sep 27 18:19:18 IST 2002

Well, I can't help with your second question, but I can answer your first one.

If you're using the Mailscanner startup script, it actually uses
/etc/sysconfig/mailscanner, not /etc/sysconfig/sendmail, if it exists. So
edit /etc/sysconfig/mailscanner. It does actually use that for the sendmail
queue timing. Read /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner for details.

However your delivery mode settings can cause Mailscanner to call sendmail
for delivery more often than the queue runs on it's own. Ie: if you have
individual or batch instead of queue for your MailScanner delivery mode it
will call sendmail directly for each email, or for each batch of emails.

Of course, if you're not using the MailScanner startup script, then you
should know how you configured sendmail to start :) ie: I don't use this
mechanism at all, I start my sendmails with my own hacked-up script. But I
might start using MailScanner's script now that it's pretty reasonable (I'm
still running a rather old MailScanner)