[Mailscanner] SpamCop IP's

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Sep 25 01:28:00 IST 2002

True, if the lookup has not been cached, it would go to the server authoritative for the zone.  You should be able to control the
length of time the cache is valid for though.  For the most part, I have added entries to my /etc/mail/access file to allow servers
that I know have been blacklisted, but for one reason or another, I must allow mail to flow from.  On a very rare occasion, I have
to add an entry, but it's on the order of once a month or less.

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 7:09 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [Mailscanner] SpamCop IP's

> I couldn't answer that one.  That's one reason I stop them with sendmail
rather than tagging them.
> One thing you might consider (if you haven't already) is use a caching
(local) nameserver on your > mail server.

I thought the blackhole lookups went right to the server or mirror and were
not cached.  I am not sure that caching would be a good thing.  A black
listed server would have to get out of the cache even after getting
unlisted.  I do have a local caching DNS server that I may have the
webserver use in the future.

Matt