Problem with Sys::Syslog

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 18 16:14:39 IST 2002

At 15:45 18/09/2002, you wrote:
>When I try to run my mailscanner on Solaris 8 with Perl 5.6.1, it fails
>with this message:
>
># ./check_mailscanner
>Starting virus scanner...
>connect: No such file or directory (SOCK_DGRAM after trying SOCK_STREAM)
>at /opt/mailscanner/bin/logger.pl line 75
>#
>
>It is something to do with the Sys::Syslog module.
>
>There are a few Google hits, but for no one application & coming to no one
>conclusion.
>
>I cannot find any sign of it logging anything anywhere, but that may not
>be so surprising - it may not be getting that far.
>
>Does anyone have any idea where I should start?

Start by getting h2ph to run, to ensure all your .ph files are up to date
(and exist).
         cd /usr/include; h2ph -r -l .
though you will probably have to find your copy of h2ph first and put the
full pathname in the command above. Don't forget the "." on the end of the
command.

If that doesn't fix it, then
         perl -MCPAN -e shell
         install Sys::Syslog
and see if it finds a newer Syslog module for you. If it starts upgrading
perl (loads and loads of cc commands) then stop it doing it.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ