multiple mailscanner instances?

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Sat Sep 14 03:49:46 IST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 21:08, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 05:22:49PM -0700, Eric H wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Jim Levie wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, it is possible to run more than one instance of MailScanner, but
> > > it's a little more complicated. What needs to happen in that case is
> > > that Sendmail is configured to drop inbound mail into mqueue.in. Then
> > > you need something else that picks up qf/df pairs from the input queue
> > > and distributes those to two or more MailScanner work queues. Each of
> >
> > But that would cost another disk read/write. How exactly is MailScanner
> > picking up qf/df pairs from the input queue that it can't cooperate
> > with another instance?
>
> It's been on the 'to-do' list for ages, but only made it in in the V4
> redesign/rewrite.
>
> If you look at the mailscanner code, you will see that there are two areas
> in which it needs to co-operate -- in picking messages out of the queue,
> and in use of its working directory area. Given the v3 code, it was just
> fiddly to get it all right, but it is now in v4.

Yep, that agrees with what I saw in the code. I considered a code mod to
do it and after consideration decided that an external "queue splitter"
and separate conf files and work areas was lots safer and lots less
work.

Obviously, we can't yet "see the design" of the V4 scanner, but I'm glad
to hear that it takes care of this need.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.