Spam Action

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Wed Sep 4 05:48:54 IST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 18:26, Mary Ross Lynch wrote:
> Things are working fine with mailscanner and sophos. And I have recently started using
> spamassassin, installed within mailscanner. Everything there working pretty good, except
> that I would like to send all messages thought to be spam (tagged with {SPAM?}), to an
> email addess:
>
>                                spam at domain.com
>
> for admins to monitor in order that no legit email is lost. It's important for our
> company that all valid email be delivered.

Any anti-spam filter is going to generate at least some false positives.
And it can be difficult for someone other than the intended recipient to
determine that a message tagged as being spam is legitimate in some
cases. I personally believe that any email filter system should do the
least damage to the mail stream that is possible, but still provide the
information for the end user to take for spam control. Just about every
email client can be set up to filter according to personal preference
and that moves the bulk of the responsibility to the user. And you
aren't necessarily limited to a single level of spam notification. I use
a modified copy of MailScanner that makes it easy for a user to use a
local filter (or a Sieve filter on my servers) to selectively discard or
allow messages identified as possible spam by SpamAssassin.

You certainly could modify MailScanner to mail the "SPAM" messages
somewhere, but I think it would make more sense to use a per client
filter, like procmail or Sieve (it you use a Cyrus implementation).
Either of those allows the end user to tailor their "spam tolerance" and
both are capable of forwarding selected mail somewhere else.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.