Attachment scanning problem

Arjen Meek arjen at MEEK.XS4ALL.NL
Thu Oct 31 16:59:21 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've solved the problem I described in my previous mail. The function
ProcessMcAfeeOutput in sweep.pl manipulates the McAfee output by
removing the part of the reported file path that matches $BaseDir .
However, McAfee *always* outputs the physical path (no symlinks),
whereas $BaseDir might include symlinks.
On my system, /var is a symlink to /data/var , /data being the
mount point for my 2nd hard drive. So after removing the $BaseDir (=
/var/....) part from the McAfee output (= /data/var/....), the /data
part will still remain, confusing Mailscanner into thinking the message
ID is "data", and causing things to go generally wrong.

I solved it by changing all references to /var in my mailscanner.conf
to /data/var . A better (general) solution might be to automatically
resolve all the symlinks in $BaseDir so that it is in the same form as
the McAfee output. Or maybe a simple warning comment in mailscanner.conf
would be sufficient.

Arjen