Bounce problems in Version 4.04

Alex Davies alex at DAVZ.NET
Wed Oct 30 15:09:08 GMT 2002

Hello everyone,

I have been using Mailscanner for a while now and I decided to upgrade to
the new version (4.04) to take advantage of the bounce facility, to give
the few false positives a telephone number to ring if they need to get
through, because there message has been deleted.

After several installation problems, such as version 3 remaining running,
I think it is now properly configures. Everything works apart from
the 'bounce' facility. If I set

High Scoring Spam Actions = bounce delete  and
Spam Actions = bounce delete

The messages are deleted and not bounced. After a large amount of head
scratching, I eliminated most problems by trying this (And restating
Mailscanner):

High Scoring Spam Actions = bounce forward alex at davz.net and
Spam Actions = bounce forward alex at davz.net

It duly forwarded all SPAM messages to alex at davz.net, but did not bounce
the messages.

I tried the initial one again (And rebooted MailScanner) to no avail. As
you can imagine, I am very confused because MailScanner otherwise works
perfectly and also manages to forward messages, so why can it not bounce
them? I had a idea that a malformed postmaster address might cause this
and followed the steps at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?
A2=ind0209&L=mailscanner&P=R39518&I=-3 to no avail!

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me on this weird problem,

Best regards,

Alex Davies