Directorys in /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 18:02:35 GMT 2002

At 17:32 28/10/2002, you wrote:
>this also matches with mine and a a couple of others problem but on a
>Cobalt RaQ in the the init script doesn't stop the mailscanner has the
>init script got broken somewhere? this section seems to be related to all
>the PIDs for mailscanner but its commented out and I couldn't find any
>killproc info for Mailscanner in the init file - but then this bit is a
>bit of mystery for me anyway.

The init.d script is *very* difficult to make work on all systems, due to
differences in the definitions of things like "killproc" in the init.d
scripts function library.

I decided against killing any process whose PID file was in the PID
directory, as if one got left behind by mistake then you could end up
killing a process you shouldn't. Too dangerous.

># Get a string of all the PIDs of MailScanner
>#MailScannerPids() {
>#       cd $PIDDIR || return 1
>#       PIDLIST=`ls | grep '^MailScanner.' | sed -e 's/MailScanner.//g'`
>#       echo PIDLIST
>#       return 0
>#}
>
>Regards
>
>Gavin
>ps I also have a whole bunch of PIDs in /var/spool/Mailscanner which don't
>get deleted

I have added some code to clear this lot out of the way.
Attached is a new init.d script and sysonfig file. Unpack it in / and it
will drop the 2 files in the right place for you.