Please clarify "rules" file syntax

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 11:57:09 IST 2002

At 10:55 25/10/2002, you wrote:
>Am looking at 4.01-3 MailScanner. In the ~/etc/rules directory there are
>inconsistancies in the rules syntax for the "Direction" field. I would
>appreciate some guidance on what the correct "valuse" are.
>
>README file
>======
>Says '...should be either "From" or "To" or "FromTo"'.
>Note these values are _not_ followed by a colon (':').
>EXAMPLES file
>========
>From:     user at good.domain.com      yes
>Note the use of the colon (':') with "From:".
>sam.whitelist.rules file
>===================
>From:   152.78.   yes
>FromTo  default   no
>Note inconsistant use of colon (':').

You can use any word you like so long as it contains one of the following:
         "from"
         "to"
         both "from" and "to"
         "and"
in upper or lower case. If you fancy adding some punctuation (e.g. a ":")
then feel free.

>Recent correspondence on list
>
>In the last couple of days there have been references to entries in
>"rules" files with "ToOrFrom:" in the "direction" field.

They are all valid.

>I assume that the three fields can be separated by any "white space"
>characters, incluing TAB?

Yep, any combination of tabs and/or spaces will work just fine.

Basically, write what you want and it will probably figure it out for you.
I'm not into strict syntax, just makes it harder to use.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ