Please clarify "rules" file syntax

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Fri Oct 25 10:55:32 IST 2002

Julian

Am looking at 4.01-3 MailScanner. In the ~/etc/rules directory there are
inconsistancies in the rules syntax for the "Direction" field. I would
appreciate some guidance on what the correct "valuse" are.

README file
======

Says '...should be either "From" or "To" or "FromTo"'.

Note these values are _not_ followed by a colon (':').

EXAMPLES file
========

From:     user at good.domain.com      yes

Note the use of the colon (':') with "From:".

sam.whitelist.rules file
===================

From:   152.78.   yes
FromTo  default   no

Note inconsistant use of colon (':').

Recent correspondence on list

In the last couple of days there have been references to entries in
"rules" files with "ToOrFrom:" in the "direction" field.

I assume that the three fields can be separated by any "white space"
characters, incluing TAB?

Thanks

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.