MS and Restart every 4hrs

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Thu Oct 24 22:50:02 IST 2002

I double checked and I amd seeing something here.  If I start MS via
check_mailscanner.solaris, I see 5 mailscanner processes running and all
is well, but if I start it using check_mailscanner, I see 5 perl
processes running but after awhile I end up with as many perl processes
as memory apparently allows.

On my test box, I started MS using the .solaris one last night and this
afternoon still had only 5 processes.  I kill them and restarted using
check_mailscanner and after 5 hours I have 21 perl processess each
taking the normal 22-24megs.

-=B

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 4:36 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: MS and Restart every 4hrs

At 14:09 24/10/2002, you wrote:
>I wasn't sure of this but I think I might be seeing something wrong
>with the check_mailscanner script.  On my test box, if I started with
>the new script, after a couple hours all my memory is eaten.  On my
>production system which I started around the same time last night I
>started with check_mailscanner.solaris and it doesn't have the problem.

>The new script the primary process is perl whereas the old one is
>mailscanner and I know it shouldn't make a difference in how the
>program runs but I was wondering if it prevents it from restarting.

No, the code goes round its loop until its time is up, then it exits and
gets re-run by the parent process. It doesn't need to do the "re-exec"
method that I used in version 3, because there was no parent process
then.

>   Also in v3 you could
>see when it restarted every 4hrs but how can you tell now?

You should still see the
         MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.01-8 starting... in
the maillog.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ