getting spamassassin to work

Steve Barber steveb at CME.NIST.GOV
Thu Oct 24 05:49:48 IST 2002

I've got 4.02-2 running on Solaris with sendmail and Sophos, and that part
is working great.  However spamassassin doesn't seem to be doing anything.
How should I configure it if I want to use spamassassin but don't want
either spamassassin or mailscanner to do RBL checks?

The scores I'm seeing suggest that AWL is working but nothing else seems
to be adjusting the scores.  I just sent a message with several spam phrases
and it came through untouched.

In spam.assassin.prefs.conf I have
skip_rbl_checks 1 (the rest is default).

In mailscanner.conf I have (for spam-relevant settings):
Spam Header = X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
Spam Score Header = X-MailScanner-SpamScore:
Spam Score Character = s
Spam Modify Subject = yes
Spam Subject Text = {Spam?}
High Scoring Spam Modify Subject = yes
High Scoring Spam Subject Text = {Spam!}
Spam Checks = yes
Spam List = none
Spam List Timeout = 10
Max Spam List Timeouts = 7
Is Definitely Not Spam = .../etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
Is Definitely Spam = .../etc/rules/spam.blacklist.rules
Use SpamAssassin = yes
Max SpamAssassin Size = 50000
Required SpamAssassin Score = 5
High SpamAssassin Score = 15
SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = yes
SpamAssassin Timeout = 30
Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
Spam Score = yes
Spam Actions = deliver
High Scoring Spam Actions = deliver
Log Spam = yes

My test message (without the body) came through like this:
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:55:52 -0400
From: Steve Barber <steveb at>
Subject: spam test
To: steveb at
Message-id: <3DB76138.5040108 at>
MIME-version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
X-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam (whitelisted), SpamAssassin (score=-18.8,
        required 5, AWL)

Note that there's no SpamScore: header.

Right now my whitelist and blacklist rules just return default no ...

I just turned off auto white listing and now the test mail just
comes in with a score of 0.

SpamAssassin works when called from procmail...


Also: I'm having big problems with check_mailscanner and
check_mailscanner.solaris.  My non-standard pathnames are somewhat
long and this causes the strings to be longer than ps will show,
so the greps fail.  I'm still working on a fix.  Used to work with
4.00.0a13.  My fixes will probably use (and help manage) the pid files.


More information about the MailScanner mailing list