Problems after updating to 4.01-5

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 15:12:13 IST 2002

At 14:55 22/10/2002, you wrote:
>(remember Windows ME?) :-P

"ME" is a disease, not an operating system.

>You are brave enough so as to provide automated installation via rpm of a
>bunch of Perl modules, patches and MS. It's a nightmare to do this right
>given the dependencies on different versions of Perl installed on the most
>disparate places (maybe more than one Perl... that's a mostly sure source of
>problems).
>
>I think that it should be stated somewhere (maybe in more than one place)
>that when you send a support question/request to the list, you should, at
>least state:
>OS & version:
>Perl version:
>MailScanner version:
>SpamAssassin version:
>installation form: (rpm or tarball, fresh or update)
>
>There may be a note about the list (and these instructions) at
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/linux.shtml and at
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/other.shtml or some of the
>sub-pages indexed there...

That would be a good idea, agreed. Done.

>As I said before, I still didn't install the software... I'm studying it
>because I'll probably have to integrate it with zmailer (http://zmailer.org)
>more closely than what
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/faq.shtml#15 and
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/faq.shtml#16 offer, for a large
>production mail-border server farm... If I get to do it somehow decently,
>I'll obviously contribute the code and the support I can give.

Nick, who does the Exim support for it, would probably be a good person to
talk to. Drop him a line at nick at mailscanner.info (I'm pretty sure that
address works).

>I really enjoyed the 3-to-4 upgrade... code is really much cleaner having
>separate modules for both mailers will allow me to develop a ZMailer.pm
>module without breaking anything to anyone (hopefully).

It may be over 12,600 lines of code now, but it's much easier to read :-)

>Other than that, thanx Julian for a fine product and excellent support...

Thanks for the encouragement!
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ